Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Review of "Little Women"

I am realizing that despite my studies, I'm not very good at critically reviewing books. I just like to talk about them. When I started playing around with my kindle, classics were the easiest to find. For some reason I had always (no pun intended) put 'Little Women' on the shelf, not really knowing much about it but guessing it was boring. Recently, my literary lady Emmy Kelly recommended the book to me, knowing how much I love Victorian-era romances and cute stories of sisterhood.
As soon as I started, I was entranced! I loved to read about their make believe games, the distinct personalities of the four March girls and how they all managed. Throughout the book I tried to see which March girl I identified with the most. Sweet pretty Meg, fiery independent Jo, angelic domestic Beth, or the elegant and spirited Amy. I think Scott meant for us to see some of ourselves in all of the characters. This book taught me so many lessons! Sometimes it was a bit preachy, but most of the time I really appreciated the lessons they learned from "Marmee". Especially about keeping busy to stay happy. It's quite true.
I just saw so much of my childhood experiences. Their games of make believe were precious. I remembered making my own newspapers for my house with my cousins when I was little. I also remember always having some sort of basket hanging from my summer trees as a mailbox for my family to leave me notes and treats. I was reminded of this when they made a post office in the bush between the March and Laurence houses. I recommend this to anyone who has sisters, girl friends, and appreciates the close ties of family.

No comments:

Post a Comment