Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Review of Barbara Pym's "A Few Green Leaves"

From other critics, I understand that you seldom read Barbara Pym for an exciting plot. Pym's work sketches quaint scenes in provincial England or university life at Oxford. I haven't been disappointed yet in reading tales of the excellent women of the church, befuddled dons and vicars, nosy neighbors, and young bohemian anthropologists.

"A Few Green Leaves" takes place in a particularly small village in Oxfordshire. Throughout the book, the scenes rotate from the local rector, doctors, churchwomen, and young anthropologist hoping to complete a study on country life in their small town. Pym's writing style is humorous but compassionate. She perfectly illustrates the awkwardness of many social situations and conversations that don't always easily flow.

I found myself laughing out loud when some of the neighbors are taking a walk through the grounds of the empty manor of the village. Daphne, the rector's older sister, notices such a pretty spot of sweet violets only to be told that they are actually a discarded candy wrapper.

I love everything I've read by Pym so far and I would love to know if anyone else appreciates her. I'd say read one of her books, if it makes you smile or laugh out loud, then read on.

No comments:

Post a Comment