Friday, December 17, 2010

Review of Emma Donoghue's "Slammerkin"

I had heard of Donoghue's new book, "Room" and that it's been getting good reviews. I looked for it at the library and when it was missing I decided to start with some of her other books.

Slammerkin is a the historical fiction of the life of Mary Saunders, a prostitute and maid in 18th century England. The book began with Mary's coming of age, and the bawdiness of her becoming a "Miss" was a guilty pleasure. Donoghue's descriptions of London's bustling nightlife made me feel as if I were actually there. Mary's life in London is a reference point for the rest of the book, taking place near present day Wales.

Mary's past is haunting, yet I kept hoping for her to be able to return to it. Saunders is not necessarily a pleasant character, but she breathes vigor and youth into the home of the family she works for.

I thought my review would be a lot longer, but this is all I've got. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes historical fiction, descriptions of fine clothes, and household tensions.

Also, my favorite was the character Doll Higgins and her quips and quotes that appeared throughout the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment